Tuesday, March 22, 2011

i'm in love with Midori

Here i am, nearly 24 hours after i finished reading Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, yet the feelings that the book brought upon me still linger in me. This book got the best characters, my ultimate favorite is Midori Kobayashi. She got this honest, radiant, smart, lively, realistic, straight forward, unpredictable personality that just blow my mind. How the author speak through the main character is really poetic, detailed and beautiful. Hands down, Murakami got a one big brilliant mind!

"I'm writing this latter to you while you're off buying drinks.
This it the first time in my life i've ever written a letter to
somebody sitting next to me on a bench, but i feel it's the
only way i can get through to you. I mean, you're hardly listening
to anything i say. Am i right?

Do you realize you did something terrible to me today?
You never even noticed that my hairstyle had changed, did
you? I've been working on it forever, trying to grow it out, and
finally, at the end of last week, i managed to get it into a style
you could actually call girlish, but you never even noticed. It
was looking pretty good, so i figured i'd give you a little shock
when you saw me for the first time after such a long time, but
it didn't even register with you. Don't you think that's awful?
I'll bet you can't even remember what i was wearing today.
Hey, i'm a girl! So what if you've got something on your
mind? You can spare me one decent look! All you had to say
was "Cute hair," and i would have been able to forgive you for
being sunk in a million thoughts, but no!

Which is why i'm going to tell you a lie. It's not true that i
have to meet my sister in the Ginza. I was planning to spend
the night at your place. I even brought my pajamas with me.
It's true. I've got my pajamas and a toothbrush in my bag. I
must be an idiot! I mean, you never even invited me over to
see your new place. Oh well, what the hell, you obviously
want to be alone, so i'll leave you alone. Go ahead and think
away to your heart's content!

But don't get me wrong. I'm not totally mad at you. I'm
just sad. You were so nice to me when i was having my problems,
but now that you're having yours, it seems there's not a
thing i can do for you. You're all locked up in that little world
of yours, and when i try knocking on the door, you just sort of
look up for a second and go right back inside.

So now i see you coming back with our drinks -- walking
and thinking. I was hoping you'd trip, but you didn't. Now
you're sitting next to me chugging down your cola. I was holding
out one last hope that you'd notice and say, "Hey, your
hair's changed!" but no go. If you had, i would have ripped
this letter up and said, "Let's go to your place. I'll make you a
nice supper. And afterward we can get in bed and cuddle."
But you're about as sensitive as a steel plate. Good-bye.

PS: Please don't talk to me next time we meet in class."
~Midori

This might sounds a little bit selfish for some people. But i'd say, this is a true feelings of a girl. A hundred percent honesty, which some girls might find it hard to express. Midori always finds her way to say what she thinks and what she feels in her unique way. You'll find yourself somehow envy her free spirit personality.
What's awe me more is how the author describe this kind of woman feelings in such effortless way that it came out so naturally.

" [Midori] So i made up my mind I was going to find someone who would love me
unconditionally three hundred and sixty-five days a year.

[Toru] Wow, and did your search pay off?

[Midori] That's the hard part. I guess I've been waiting so long I'm looking for perfection.
That makes it tough.

[Toru] Waiting for perfect love?

[Midori] No, even i know better than that. I'm looking for selfishness. Like, say i tell you i want
to eat strawberry shortcake. And you stop everything you're doing and run out and buy it for me.
And you come back out of breath and get down on your knees and hold this strawberry shortcake
out to me. And i say i don't want it anymore and throw it out the window. That's what i'm looking for."
~Midori

No comments:

Post a Comment